Wednesday, January 19, 2011

LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN!

In 1992 one of my five son's, Drew, was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. Neuroblastoma is THE deadliest childhood cancer. In 1993 Drew was sent home to die by the famed Mayo Clinic after a year of intense surgeries, chemo and radiation. By the grace, mercy and timing of God we discovered Complementary and Alternative (CAM) healing therapies and immediately began a rigorous CAM program. This included whole, organic foods, natural supplementation and other CAM healing modalities such a message, energy work, chiropractic, detoxification, etc. Six months later Drew was cancer free and today--17 years later--he is in his second year at college doing quite well. Our son, Jacob, who was born with a terminal heart and stomach defect, also benefited from CAM therapies and has out lived every doctors prediction. God has always been given the glory for healing our two sons. We believe He created an amazing body with the ability to heal itself, given our God-gifted natural resources.

My belief in complementary and alternative healing modalities is fierce!!!

Over the years I have worked to educate, advocate and provide resources on the subject to as many people that have the willingness to listen and learn. I have authored two books on the subject and for the past decade have given those books away freely as the information came to us freely. My life's dream throughout this journey is to establish a non-profit with the following mission: Promote CAM therapies, granting people hope and tangible options using viable and proven cures for degenerative diseases by changing national policies, offering financial support to fund CAM treatments for those with limited resources and connecting patients to CAM healthcare resources and professionals.

Rather than create a new non-profit, I am fortunate to know an established non-profit already working toward the above mission.
Blessing Way Family Services (BWFS), 501c3, is a Twin Cities based non-profit that offers an array of holistic services to build strong and healthy foundations for the betterment of families. The organization is going through a mini-metamorphosis of sorts, including a name change in the near future to Better Way Family Services. Other services offered by BWFS include: Education, Advocacy, Doula Training, "Baby-Friendly" Training, Lactation Consultation, Lactation Mentorship, Baby Cafe, and Complementary and Alternative Healthcare Choice!

Merry Christmas, "You have cancer":
On Christmas day I discovered a large lump on my left breast. Had an ultrasound and mamo, which revealed the mass was solid and calcified. Tuesday, Jan 4th we got the news. My cancer is Infiltrating Mammary Ductal Carcinoma. It is an invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC), an infiltrating, malignant and abnormal proliferation of neoplastic cells in the breast tissue. (okay that last sentence was from Wikipedia) Next, I had a full breast MRI, which determined good news. The cancer has not spread. Then we had a meeting with our surgeon and learned the tumor size and the aggressiveness of the female hormones feeding the cancer will require a mastectomy. I also learned there is a 40% of the cancer reoccuring in the right breast so I am opting for full removal.

The bilateral mastectomy and full reconstruction is scheduled Weds., Feb 2nd. Based on the above information, I will not be accepting chemo and radiation. Chemo kills all cells and destroys the immune system's ability to fight cancer. The risk of radiation is too great because of the location of my tumor near the heart and lungs, plus we learned the hard way that radiation has long term side effects and damage to vital organs. My healing choice will be a full CAM treatment program with several modalities such as whole, organic foods, supplementation, herbs, and various CAM services offered by licensed professionals. None of this is covered by our healthcare insurance, which has always been my greatest fear.

I am 45 years old. The mother of eight beautiful and amazing children. They are my greatest joy. I fully intend to embrace and love every spouse and grandbaby they gift me with. The love of my life, my soulmate and best friend, Philip, is the man of my every dream who stands by my side faithfully. I have never been more in love with my friends, my family and life. I have never felt healthier. My intention is to fight this and win. Then I will become a committed advocate of hope, raising a higher mission, a higher voice and higher standards for CAM therapies to be accepted and covered in this world. When my healing is said and done, I will work with BWFS to raise awareness, and build a strong foundation of friends and funding to provide advocacy and hope to millions. This is the work I have been groomed for. This is the work I've been blessed with my entire life.

The day of surgery and following, I want to be so strong for my family. We have five kids in college right now and they are spread all over the country, including one currently in Mexico (study abroad). I pray for grace and calm and even humor to gift them all with peace of mind as I go into surgery.

I know this peace must all come from deep within my spirit.

Peace and Veggies,
Leanne

No comments:

Post a Comment